This safety alert is intended to educate and inform people on the correct wear, care and inspection requirements of industrial safety helmets, and to provide guidance on how to check their expiry date.Helmets are reasonably inexpensive, yet they protect possibly the most important organ in the human body. If pre-use inspection causes any reservation, the helmet should be discarded and replace immediately. It includes:
The factors of safety helmet
The life span of safety helmet
Exposure to the environment and chemicals
The factors of safety helmet introduce.
- Be in good condition. If it’s damaged, don’t use it; throw it away!
- Fit the person wearing it and be worn properly;
- Not prevent the wearing of hearing protectors when needed;
- Only be obtained from a reputable supplier – there are fake hard hats on the market.
The life span of safety helmet introduce.
Safety helmets do not last forever and have a finite life span after which they should be disposed of. Helmets will have some form of embossed date stamp similar to that in the illustrations below. Members may wish to ensure looking into ethical and appropriate recycling of old or expired safety helmets, in particular, ensuring they are not used elsewhere after being thrown out.
Exposure to the environment and chemicals introduce.
- Safety helmet shells are susceptible to:
- UV light damage
- temperature extremes
- chemical degradation;
- Signs of degradation include:
- stiff or brittle shells
- faded, dull or chalky appearing shell.